Law Library Study Carrels
Use of carrels is limited to currently enrolled Law Students. The following rules are to ensure equitable access to carrels for all Law Students. Please be advised that the following procedures and rules are subject to change as the need arises.
- A carrel key may be checked out at the Circulation Desk. You will need your SUNY ID.
- Carrel keys may be signed out for one day at a time. Keys are due at closing on the same day. You will be assessed a fine of $5.00 per day for failure to return a key. If you lose a key, you will be assessed a replacement fee of $10.00.
- Repeated failure to return a key will result in the revocation of law library carrel privileges.
- The automated key check-out system will not allow the Circulation Staff to provide information to Law Students concerning who has signed out a carrel.
- When you temporarily leave your carrel, and when you leave for the day, please be sure that the door to the carrel is closed and locked to prevent unauthorized use of the room.
Carrels are for individual student use. Please be considerate of your fellow law students by leaving the carrel areas when you wish to converse with others. Per library policy, all cell phone and mobile device activity must be silent throughout the Law Library.
The Law Library is not responsible for property left in law library study carrels. Personal property left in carrels will be considered “abandoned property” as defined in Section 251(3) of the New York Personal Property Law. The property will be removed to the Law Library storage room so that others may use the conference room. If the property remains unclaimed after 10 days, it will be transferred to the Dept. of Public Safety (Bissell Hall, North Campus) pursuant to Section 252(1) of the New York Personal Property Law.