Study Spaces in the Law Library
COVID-19/Fall 2020 – Law students may access the law library. All others are welcome by appointment. Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org or 716-645-2047.
Libraries are great quiet spaces to get work done, and the Charles B. Sears Law Library is no exception. Per library policy, all cell phone and mobile device activity must be silent throughout the Law Library (texting is fine, but, please, no conversations in study spaces!), and we have many dedicated spots for quiet study. With WiFi throughout the libraries, coffee shops nearby for caffeine infusions, and the added convenience of print research materials at your fingertips, the law library is a space designed with you in mind.
Quite a bit of our study space is "first come, first served." As a public law library, we have pro se patrons, private practice attorneys, members of the general public, and students from all of the University availing themselves of our space and services.
However, there are many spaces throughout the law library reserved for law students. These spaces require a valid UB Card. The information attached to a law student's UB ID allows access to these spaces, either through a swipe card access point or through the Circulation Desk reservation systems.
*Patrons are reminded to never leave personal items unattended. Unfortunately, theft happens, and the library is not responsible for the loss of items. Please don't let your stuff become someone else's!*
Spaces reserved for law student use only are indicated * below.
2nd Floor (map)
The Reading Room
The reading room, located at the west end of the library, opposite the main entrance, is group study space. There are outlets at each table, and WiFi is available throughout the space (Log-in is required for wireless access).Law Students Only
- Conference Rooms
Note: law students may only reserve conference rooms for group work, and need at least two Law students with UB IDs to reserve a room.
3rd Floor (map)
The third floor of the library, accessible via the center staircase, elevator, and the rear staircase, has public study space available. There are tables near the center staircase and desks at the end of the stacks.Law Students Only
- There are study carrels available for law students. Study carrels are checked out at the Circulation Desk on the second floor, using a valid UB Card.
5th Floor - (map)
The 5th floor is an exclusive silent study space for law students only, accessible only by swipe card. If you are not a law student, and need access to the 5th floor materials, please come to the reference or circulation desks, located at the 2nd floor entrance.
- Multiple tables available for law student use in the fifth floor reading room.
- Conference rooms located on the 5th floor are for law student use (UB Card required to reserve.)
- Law students are reminded to secure their swipe card and other possessions while in the library. Please do not prop the doors open or allow others to use your swipe card to gain access to the 5th floor.
6th Floor - (map)
Floor 6 is accessible via the southwest corner staircase and the northwest corner elevator. There are desks at the end of the stacks, available for public use.
- Conference rooms located on the 6th floor are for law student use (UB Card required to reserve.)
7th Floor (map)Law Student Reading Room
In addition to journals and law reviews, the 7th floor is an exclusive silent study space for law students only, accessible only by swipe card. If you are not a law student, and need access to the 7th floor materials, please come to the reference or circulation desks, located at the 2nd floor entrance.
- Law students are reminded to secure their swipe card and other possessions while in the library. Please do not prop the doors open or allow others to use your swipe card to gain access to the seventh floor.