Levels of priority handling have been established and apply similarly to the cataloging, barcoding, and end-processing.
Rush items (pink flag)
- "In Process"*
- Reference Desk / Reference
- N.Y. Alcove
- U.N. Alcove
- Study Aids
- Any item designated as RUSH for other reasons
- Mercury items
- Hold & notify*
- Items returned from patron review
- Office Copies and any other special locations (includes: Koren, Faculty, Acquisitions, Cataloging, Special Collections)
Next priority items (no flag)
- Others, as identified
This additional category applies at cataloging stage. Certain items will be handled next after Rush items, due to their content or format. Primary legal material (codes, statutes, regulations, etc.) and material receiving updates, such as loose-leaf binders and titles receiving supplementation in other forms (pocket parts, supplements) are examples.
These items will be identified by Head of Cataloging and assigned to an appropriate staff member for cataloging.
Points to remember:
- Catalog Rush items before regular assignments.
- Write "Rush" on statistics slip for priority items.
- Be sure to place item in end-processing area so as to ensure priority handling. If colored flag in item, be sure it is visible.
- If item includes update to be filed or special handling by Circulation staff, place green flag in item also.
- Items go directly to end-processing shelf or truck.
- Check special location on flag as appropriate.
"Needed Immediately" Items
- Property stamp and tattle-tape item
- Create/update existing item record fields as follows:
- Barcode = place in piece and scan into field
- Assign values as appropriate for piece/location in these fields of Tab 2. General Information (1):
- Item Status
- Material Type
- Assign values as appropriate for piece/location in these fields of Tab 3. General Information (2):
- Circ. Note: “Send to Cataloging”
- Internal Note: “Needs full cataloging ([initials,month/year])”
Content last updated: 11/12