Recataloging / Reclassing
Systematic Monograph Reclass
- Gather pieces from the stacks
- As you pull titles from the shelves, take care to locate corresponding piece(s) and editions.
- It may be necessary to shelf read and reorder items on the shelf as you are looking. Take the time to do this because it will benefit other cataloging staff as well as patrons.
- Search Aleph for each title and sort into two categories:
- Those with DLC in the 040 field or PCC in the 042 field AND 050s (LC Copy, OR those with SRC field blank and (CStRLIN) in the 035 field
- Those without LC assigned 050s (i.e. everything else -- Shared)
- At the same time, look for related editions, series classed together, etc.; keep all related together.
- Search OCLC for titles without LC assigned 050s
- For titles without LC assigned 050s, search each title on OCLC. If LC Copy is found (must be exact match, including edition), overlay existing Aleph record with it. If no exact match is found, print any other edition that matches the criteria above to help with cataloging/classifying piece in hand.
- Set aside all remaining titles without LC assigned 050s; catalog after all titles with 050s are completed.
Cuttering And Classifying: 050 vs. 090
- Accept LC assigned 050s as is (except as noted below).
- LC numbers found on OCLC for exact title, including year and edition, should be put into an 050 field, even if Aleph record is shared.
- Accept an LC assigned 050 with missing dates, but add the date to the 050.
- If there is an 050, but no DLC in the 040--treat the 050 as if it were an 090.
- Main entry changes:
- Change cutter if main entry is different due to AACR2--put class no. in 090.
- Change cutter if main entry changes after CIP record is updated--put class no. in 090.
- If the class no. in 090 is okay, but book cutter is slightly off, change cutter to reflect the cutter table, or to fit into our shelflist if there are conflicts.
- Use the same cutter for different editions even if main entry is different (this is not LC practice). Base cutter on the main entry of earliest edition we own, or on whichever edition we have already classed in LCC.
- 050s for bibliographies may have two class nos. Choose the subject class no. (generally after the second |a), assign a cutter, and put in an 090.
- Older editions with obsolete or incorrect nos. should be changed to match the class no. of newer editions--put in 090.
- Be on the lookout for non-K class nos. and non-legal subject headings, they may need to be updated, depending on the subject matter of the item.
- When we hold both a work and its executive summary as 2 separate titles, classify and cutter them exactly the same and add "summ." to end of call number for executive summary.
Content last updated: 7/10