Materials, regardless of priority, that are folded and stapled through the center, are sewn into a set of pressboard covers.
- Create/edit item, placing barcode on back cover of item.
- Place on Bindery shelf in Room 216.
Materials, regardless of priority, made up of loose pages, are machine-bound.
- Place in Velobinding basket on shelf in Room 216.
- Uncover and turn on the velobinding machine
- Supplies are kept near machine, with extras in credenza -- need: front cover (clear), back cover, spine (2 pieces)
- TATTLE-TAPE before punching
- PUNCH: If very few pages, may punch together; if any resistance, punch in sections. Front and back covers may also need to be punched.
- BIND: Line up flat piece of spine with small hole over pin. Align one cover, punched pages, then other cover, over flat spine. Put teethed spine piece over and through pages. Pull down handle, then bind. Machine will flash, then stop flashing and will beep when completed.
- Turn off machine and re-cover.
- When cataloging or recataloging a piece that is brittle (i.e. its pages cannot pass the double-fold test without breaking off):
- Complete all cataloging.
- Place on Preservation & Bindery shelf in Room 216.
Routine binding of soft bound materials ceased in 2006. Titles/categories sent for commercial binding are specifically named on the list at Y:/LawLibrary/Bindery/Titles Sent to the Bindery.doc
- Place items on Bindery shelf in Room 216.