- Determine if the item is:
- Loose-leaf format (finite, no intent to update)
- Catalog per cataloging rules and MARC21 standards for Monographs or Continuing Resources, as appropriate
- Catalog per cataloging rules and MARC21 standards for Continuing Resources/Integrating Resources (updating loose-leaf)
see: CONSER's Integrating Resources: a Cataloging Manual
Note about circulation status:All updating loose-leaf publication items that meet these criteria will circulate for 7 days:
- Are currently received (open order)
- Are not located in a special location
- Are not local codes or large loose-leaf service sets with transfer binders or bound volumes.
HOL: Fixed field 008(06) = 4 (currently received)
Fixed field 008(12) = 5 (retained until replaced by cumulation, replacement volume, or revision)
ITEM: Item Status = 08
- When a new edition is received, check Acquisitions module for an open order record on the previous edition.
- If there is no open order, give to Head of Collection Management for order work.
- If there is an open order, move the order record from the previous to the new edition's bibliographic record. Update or delete any call number or year data in the order record as needed.
Loose-leaf Titles to be Bound
If loose-leaf title is canceled:
If loose-leaf title is complete, usually signaled by receipt of a new edition of title:
HOL: Fixed field 008(06) = 5 (not currently received) 852 subfield c = GEN 852 subfield x DNC note should be deleted ITEM: Item Status = 01
If Head of Collection Management* determines that previous edition will be retained, Head of Cataloging will prepare it for bindery according to the following:
HOL: Fixed field 008(06) = 2 (received and complete or ceased) 852 subfield c = GEN 852 subfield x DNC note should be deleted ITEM: Item Status = 01
- Insert a sheet at the front of each piece saying whether it was canceled or ceased, along with the last release date.
- Re-use existing item records in Aleph.
- Discard binders (do NOT count).