Internet resources are cataloged directly from the Internet. Internet resources to be cataloged may be routed through various sources (e.g. regular Acquisitions processing; Reference requests). Records may be added to Aleph by Cataloging staff or the Senior Acquisitions Clerk, either from OCLC or as brief. There is no backlog for Internet resources; notice of requested resources is given directly to Cataloging.
General Rules for Internet Resources
- Create bibliographic record for Internet Resource alone or add copy to existing print record according guidelines for Single or Separate Records.
- In bibliographic record:
- Delete any 530 field.
- Add a 538 field formatted as follows:
538: : Mode of access: Internet.
Mode of access for websites is always "Internet"
- No period at the end of the 856 field.
If you are editing a record that already contains an 856 field, make sure you remove subfield 2 "|2 http" or any subfield z "|z Adobe Acrobat reader required"
- Do not create Item record for Internet Resources
- Do create Holdings record for Internet Resources for the appropriate Collection Code for BUFON sublibrary
- Follow additional instructions for Internet Resource Alone, Printout of Internet Resource, or Internet Resource as Added Copy to Print.
For Internet Resource Alone
For Printout of Internet Resource
- The addition of Printouts for Internet Resources to the Law Library collections may be requested per collection development guidelines.
- Reference will provide the printout on archival quality paper to Cataloging. Cataloging will velobind printout during end processing.
- Catalog Internet Resource as usual -- Do not catalog for printout at all in bibliographic record
- Create item & holding record for printout and assign call number
- Add note to printout holdings: 852 |x printout
- Count on stat slip as 1T, 1V (or as appropriate), with call number assigned to printout noted.
- Holdings example:
Click to view larger
For Internet Resource as Added Copy to Print
- Code 856 with 2nd indicator 1 : 856:41 (links to different version of the resource being cataloged)
May add multiple 856:41 fields to provide links to different versions, such as PDF, ASCII, HTML, etc. If more than one version is added, use |z to note version, ex:
856:41 : |z ASCII version: |u http://www.ncjrs.org/txtfiles/163061.txt
856:41 : |z PDF version: |u http://www.ncjrs.org/pdffiles/163061.pdf
856:41 : |z HTML version: |u http://www.ncjrs.org/163061.html
- Holdings example:
Click to view larger
Collection Codes for BUFON sublibrary
The sublibrary (holdings field 852 |b) for all Internet and Electronic resources is BUFON
Different Collection Codes (holdings field 852 |c) are used to specify the type of Electronic Resource.
AUDIO Streaming audioEBK Electronic books
Use AUDIO for purchased and freely-accessible streaming video. If also received in physical format, catalog on separate records.
852 1st indicator: blank 852 subfield b: BUFON 852 subfield c: AUDIO 852 subfield h: blankEJNL Electronic journal
Use for purchased and freely accessible e-books. Also use for online versions of government document monographs
FOR LAW: Used for Internet resources as Added Copies on Monographic Records.
852 1st indicator: 8 852 subfield b: BUFON 852 subfield c: EBK 852 subfield h: in [name of product, series title, etc.] If there is no product name or series title, leave the 852 1st indicator and the 852 subfield h blank If the book is a government document with a documents classification * 852 1st indicator: [3 for US and CAN; 8 for NYS] 852 subfield k: US, NY, or CAN 851 subfields h and i: document classification * not used by Law except for records shared with other unitsONL BISON databases
Use for purchased and freely accessible e-journals. Also use for online versions of government document periodicals and serials
FOR LAW: typically created by EPMD
852 1st indicator: 8 852 subfield b: BUFON 852 subfield c: EJNL 852 subfield h: Electronic journal [name of product, journal package, etc.] Use only Electronic journal if there is no product name or journal package If the periodical or serial is a government document with a documents classification* 852 1st indicator: [3 for US and CAN; 8 for NYS] 852 subfield k: US, NY, or CAN 851 subfields h and i: document classification * not used by Law except for records shared with other unitsINT Internet resources
Use ONL for databases in the Databases by Title list. Individual publications, such as Wall Street journal or Buffalo news are not databases.
852 1st indicator: blank 852 subfield b: BUFON 852 subfield c: ONL 852 subfield h: blankVIDEO Streaming video
Use INT for websites and other Internet resources other than electronic books, electronic journals, and databases listed in Databases by Title. Also use for government resources other than electronic monographs and serials.
FOR LAW: used for Internet Resources cataloged alone (i.e. not as added copy) unless Electronic book resource
852 1st indicator: blank 852 subfield b: BUFON 852 subfield c: INT 852 subfield h: blank
Use VIDEO for purchased and freely-accessible streaming video. If also received in physical format such as DVD video, catalog on separate records.
852 1st indicator: blank 852 subfield b: BUFON 852 subfield c: VIDEO 852 subfield h: blank
Method of Access in Holdings
In order to obtain accurate statistics, the Method of Access code in the 008 in the holdings record must be properly coded.
The following codes are acceptable.
d Depository (use for all government documents or government websites) f Freely accessible n Non-library purchase p Purchase Note: g Gift g is a valid code only when access to an priced electronic is provided as a gift by a donor.
Example of Holdings -- Method of Access
Content last updated: nb 12/09