Creating Brief Records
- Search on OCLC. If found, pass record into Aleph.
- If not in OCLC, return to Aleph. If it is possible to derive earlier edition record, etc. to create record, do so.
- Delete following fields:
- Update following fields to reflect new piece in hand:
- If nothing at all in Aleph, create "Aleph brief record" from template. Delete any 035.
010 092 022 099 035 300 (can update if preferred, but not necessary) 040 5XXs 050 6XXs 082 850 090 852
Date 1 (008) 020 (delete any extra 020s) 1XX 245 250 (if present) 260 4XX
Overlaying Brief Records
- Search on OCLC by title (get from title page).
- If nothing is found on OCLC, perform original cataloging (or give to cataloger for work).
- Aleph Overlay:
- Bibliographic record
- Delete all existing 035s.
- Add new 035 with OCLC number.
- Use format: 035__(OCoLC)[number]
(do not use brackets around number)
- Search Aleph by OCLC number to check that formatting of 035 was correct.
- Return to OCLC.
NOTE: OCLC number must have at least 8 digits in Aleph; add 0s (zeroes) at beginning of number if necessary to make 8 digits.
- Export record
- Determine record that has just been passed has overlayed brief record.
Content last updated: 7/16